Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sharing my Ginger Tea Recipe


I have been a very fond of Teh Halia (ginger flavored milk tea) ever since I was first introduced to the drink by my dad. The lingering spiciness after a mouthful of the drink is what I was most looking forward to. Call this personal sadomasochism if you must.

This type of ginger tea, ginger infused into black tea, is the kind found in the local sarabat stall (An Indian Muslim drink stall). However, the recipe I am sharing is just made from ginger without the black tea. This recipe was imparted to me by a Balinese lady at a spa where I had regular body massage and I love the ginger tea that they made.

I've heard about the goodness of ginger from my grandmother and my mother. Some use it as a rub to relieve pain from sore muscle (as practiced by my grandmother before). Ginger is also used in massage sessions for the same purpose. It is known to improve blood circulation, relieving stomache gas, arthritis and the list goes on ........

Visit Wonders of Ginger which describes the goodness of ginger in a nutshell.
Here's the ginger tea recipe imparted to me from a Balinese lady who works in a spa that I frequent. This is good for 2~5 people. It help me improve digestion and soothe a chronic joint problems.

Simple Ingredients :

1) 2 pieces of old ginger about the size of your palm. It must be the old ginger to get the "oomph" for spiciness. This should be enough to extract 200ml of ginger juice. If there's more than enough, you can store it in your refrigerator and then use it another time.


2) 1 or 2 pieces of honey rock sugar. This type of sugar can be commonly found in Chinese Medicine Hall. You can substitute this with honey. I've tried this with Manuka Honey and it taste good too.


Procedure :

1) Peel the light brown skin off the ginger

I'm using a fruit knife for this purpose which may not be too appropriate but I find that I can easily scrap the skin off the "valleys" between two close branches of the ginger. (Now I use a spoon to scrap off the skin. Works well.)


Peeled ginger


2) Grate the ginger with a grater to a slight coarseness. This is for extracting the ginger juice with minimal cloudiness. I've tried the blender but somehow I prefer the taste of my ginger tea made by manual grating.


My coarse ginger puree

3) Extract the ginger juice by placing the grated ginger on the strainer and then press with a table spoon. There should be better tools then what I'm using for the extraction, but it's all I have that can do the job in my kitchen.

My ginger juice in a glass container. You can store extra ginger juice in the refrigerator to use another day.


4) With 200ml of the ginger juice mix about 600ml of water. Bring the mixture to boil and then turn to a low flame and then add about one piece of the honey rock sugar. Stir till the solution is boiled. Control the portion of sugar to suit your personal taste. The yellowish mixture will turn brown.


It's ready to be served. Just be aware that it may be too spicy for you. Drink it in small portions or dilute it with more water if you find that it's too spicy.


Wanna try some?

4 comments:

superfinefeline said...

Yes! I want some! I love Ginger Tea! Actually, I love Ginger! My fav way of removing ginger skin is to moisten the skin & then use a teaspoon to scrape the skin off. When I'm not well, I will boil some ginger with water. I will then drink the ginger water with some honey and a peg of whiskey.

Unknown said...

Yes I'm scraping with a teaspoon now. Thanks to the recommendations from some friends over at Foodbuzz. Hmm honey and whiskey with ginger ..... I gotta try it.

Anonymous said...

i just wanted to know.. can i use anything other than that rock sugar. i cant seem to find it.
ive had the tea in Bali and LOVED it.

Unknown said...

If you cannot find the honey rock sugar. I think you can try honey or just white sugar. If you like ginger, here's a ginger milk pudding recipe.

http://4-the-love-of-food.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-had-craving-for-ginger-milk-pudding.html